Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Have to or get to?

Lately I’ve had a case of the “have to’s.” I have to wake up early. I have to go to work. I have to go to class. I have to work out. I have to grocery shop. I have to do laundry.

It’s no wonder I’ve been looking forward to the day’s end with great anticipation. Most days I find myself thinking along these lines: Only four more hours ‘til I get off work, then I need to start on my reading homework and make something healthy for dinner…oh great there’s nothing to eat at home…I wish it was Friday…I wish this class was over...

In short, the have to’s have been making me miserable. And being miserable disagrees with my life philosophy: be as happy in the moment as possible, every moment of every day. And so I have been examining the meaning of the verb tense “have” in its modal form and all its implications. By saying I have to, I am implying that I am obligated to something, that it is necessary for me to do something, that I have no choice; it has to be done.

So what if I changed that pesky have to the verb…get? I get to wake up early so that I can go to work and make money to live on. I get to go to school today and further my education. I get to go to the grocery store so that I have food to eat. I get to work out to improve my health. I get to do laundry and wear clean clothes…

Kind of changes the perspective, doesn’t it? And all it took was a little verb substitution. Though I’m sure I’m not the first person who has thought of this, it’s revolutionized my world a little bit. I feel luckier, happier, better.

What do you get to do today?

2 comments: