Wednesday, February 3, 2010

yoga time with the sis

My sister recently decided to become a yoga instructor. This is her (second from the left) posing with some of her students at her first yoga retreat in Costa Rica. Don't you wish you were there?! I know I do.

Before she taught any official classes, she used me as her "guinea pig" student. Here are some of the things I learned:


Some sort of wacky pose with a "bind" (meaning my arms are twisted around my body in unnatural ways until my hands reach each other). Please excuse the sweat-it's no walk in the park folks!

The same pose. I can't quite get my head to touch the floor, which is the goal I think.


Scary, afraid-my-neck-is-gonna-snap-and-leave-me-paralysized pose. Alina was mad when I was able to do this pose on my first try. She can't even get her knees to touch the floor yet! Guess all those years of sticking my butt up in the air while watching tv as a child payed off. hah!


Before Alina left for her retreat, she came over to give my roommates and I a practice lesson. As she walked around the room, giving encouraging comments like, "Good, Brittany," in her sweet little teacher voice, I couldn't help but notice I hadn't gotten quite the same treatment in my solo lesson. Instead, it was more like, "Adriel, why can't you do this!" as she pushed my already over-stretched leg up in the air an inch further. Oh well, guess that's what sisters are for! I did miss her teaching while she was away. My roommates and I had to resort to doing yoga videos with Elise Gulan at home in her absence, and it just wasn't quite the same. I'm determined to be as good as Elise and Alina someday though. Those girls are such powerhouses!

Hope you enjoyed the photos. Happy practicing!

Namaste!

3 comments:

  1. that's curious...you note that elise is a powerhouse and you want to be like her-what about alina?!? after all, i'm the one that drives to your house for free, private instruction...

    ReplyDelete
  2. please note the changes to my post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at how bendy you are!!!

    Namaste, Adge and Alina!

    ReplyDelete