Wednesday, January 13, 2010

911 Nightmares

Recently I've been having 911 nightmares.

The first time it happened, I was at the house I grew up in. I was the age I am now, and I was home alone. It was daytime.

I peeked out the front door window at the mauve car that was coming up my long driveway, already feeling suspicious of the strange man driving it. I watched with baited breath as the car paused at the top of the drive, reversed, and made a 3 point turn (leaving tire marks in the grass) and drove back down. I breathed with relief. It was just someone turning around.

I went up to the room my sister and I shared for so many years. Then I saw the strange man coming back up the drive. He was getting out of his car. He was breaking down the door. He didn't think anyone was home. And when he found me, he was going to kill me.

I huddled in the small space between the wall and my sisters bed and dialed 9-11. The dispatcher answered. I couldn't think or speak. I couldn't remember my address. My mind raced as I thought, "1706?? no that's where I live now. 404...no no that's dad's new house....what is the address?!" The man was almost inside now. Finally, it came to me-799! Wake up time...5:12 a.m.

The next time it happened, I was driving past the hospital where I was born, and in the middle of the road they had placed a small roller-coaster like track that cars had to drive on. I watched as a car drove up onto the green tracks, completed the upside-down loop and came out the spiral turns and back onto the main road. So strange, I thought. Then came a motorcyle. A man was driving it, his girlfriend on the back. She was screaming at him to stop, she didn't want to drive through the coaster. He ignored her.

They were halfway up in the upside-down loop when a cord from the bike became caught in the lime green tracks. Both the guy and girl were screaming now. They were being run over inside the loop. I could hear the bike engine revving and see the blood dripping down.

I put my hands over my ears and turned away. I didn't want to see this. They were about to die. Then I thought, "Wait, what am I doing?! Call 9-11!" Wake up time-5:03 a.m.

What is causing my brain to conjure up these 9-11 scenarios? I'm a big believer in the meaning of dreams...I just wish I could figure out what the meaning of these dreams is. And I also wonder...what emergency will come tonight?

3 comments:

  1. Im running the Zoo 5K too! What about me? :-) I think it'll be fun to run with you and Britt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We're going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first dream is perhaps a fear of forgetting where you came from-that some greater force (the man) has come in to take what you known as familiar away from you. even deeper-maybe you are scared you have not stayed true to the young, innocent girl you once were-maybe your ideas on life have changed-but you are long for a time when life was simpler.

    ReplyDelete